Are you an experienced Cloud Security Engineer looking for a more rewarding career? Does the idea of directly connecting your development effort with improving peoples’ lives appeal to you? IdeaCrew is currently seeking a Cloud Security Engineer to join our innovative, hard-working team as we reboot Health Benefit Exchange (HBX) technology and standards. Our culture encourages independent work, creative input, sharing of ideas, continuous learning and superior results.
The Cloud Security Engineer reports to the Chief Engineer and Cloud Engineer Manager, and is responsible for building out and improving the reliability and security of the organization’s high-volume e-commerce site, cloud applications and cloud infrastructure deployed on Amazon Web Services (AWS). In this hands on role you will be responsible for building the next generation of web applications and systems infrastructure, focusing on automation, availability and security.
The successful candidate will possess broad knowledge of systems infrastructure that power today’s modern and highly available web and mobile applications, with deep domain expertise in one or more of the following areas: compute, networking, storage, high availability, cloud security, application performance. Demonstrated knowledge of Linux, automation tools (Capistrano, OpenStack, Chef, Puppet), Amazon Web Services (EC2, Network, ELB, S3/EBS, etc.) or similar Public Cloud platform, monitoring tools (New Relic, Nagios, etc), and scripting languages (Ruby, Perl or other) is also required.
IdeaCrew’s Cloud Security Engineers thrive in a DevOps culture, working with multi-disciplinary teams (architects, developers, operations, testers) to fully automate and build out new application environments on the Cloud, spearheading automation and high performing system projects.
- Administration of AWS cloud-based Red Hat server environments
- Host a high-volume e-commerce site using an open source stack: nginx, unicorn, ruby on rails, mongodb, rabbitmq
- Provide IaaS and PaaS support for the development team
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, security and development teams, providing advanced engineering support for complex application performance and infrastructure issues
- Enhance existing automation environments and streamline DevOps
- Participate in cross-functional teams and help debug system issues
- Deconstruct complex problems & projects into execution detail
- Write shell code/scripts, cron jobs and Restful API’s
- Maintain and monitor hardware and infrastructure systems
- Conduct system & operation performance analysis
- Perform repairs, maintenance and upgrades of existing systems using solutions in accordance with standard operating procedures. Investigate and resolve matters of significance
- Assist in research, selection and implementation of relevant new software platforms and applications
- Strive for timely resolution, and escalate within acceptable SLAs where unable to resolve
- Create, maintain and improve technical operational work instructions
- Ability to manage own workload and remain accountable, promoting a positive team approach under pressure
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to new patterns, shift work and responsibilities
- Strong communication skills, presentation skills, with an ownership acumen
- Provide work guidance to less experienced personnel.
Required Skills & Expertise
- Two years-plus experience designing and building e-commerce web application environments on AWS or similar Public Cloud platform
- Three years-plus working with Linux, Red Hat or CentOS preferred, with emphasis on scripting and automation
- Minimum of one year working with OpenStack, Chef or similar infrastructure configuration management and automation tools
- Minimum of one year designing and building web or mobile applications using cloud-based services (AWS application services such as Elastic Beanstalk, DynamoDB, SQS, etc., Google AppEngine, Pivotal Cloud Foundry or similar)
- Minimum of one year of experience in working within a concentrated infrastructure domain – compute, networking, storage, infrastructure security
- Experience with terraform, consul, and/or packer strongly preferred
This position is located in Washington, DC. We offer highly competitive compensation and benefits.